December 7, 2009

DIY Project #8: Salt Dough Ornaments

Posted by Ellen Heck

EllenHeck_SaltDoughCandyCanes1

This easy, sticky craft project can be immensely satisfying for all ages.  It’s a great way to make personal gifts (putting together custom pet-shaped ornaments can be a sweet idea) and a wonderful excuse to get your hands dirty. I remember loving this as a child, and the semi-nautical scent of the salt dough itself brings back happy memories.

EllenHeck_SaltDoughCandyCanes3

Here’s my mom’s old recipe card for our version of the dough, though I’ve seen it elsewhere with a higher salt-to-flour ratio.  I’ve also seen people recommend adding a bit of vegetable oil to add smoothness, but apparently, this can inhibit the drying of the finished pieces. You might just want to play it by ear.

Candy canes are a great low-stress ornament to pursue. They are quick and easy, and if you color one ball of dough with food coloring beforehand, they do not require painting after they are cooked. Here’s a quick visual how-to demonstration:

EllenHeck_SaltDoughCandyCanes2

I was able to make six candy canes and one small French bulldog from one cup of flour and a half of a cup of salt. The hooks (made from bent and cut paper clips) can be easily inserted into the finished pieces right before they go into the oven.

Happy Baking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Categories: projects Tags: ,

7 Comments »

1. I’ve always wanted this recipe and this is the perfect ornament to make ! Come on over and link up to my Ornament Party and share your creativity !

Comment by Kate at Centsational Girl — December 8, 2009 @ 2:02 am

2. thank you for sharing the recipe. they are way to cute. i’m going to make these with my daughter.

janice

Comment by janice — December 8, 2009 @ 7:28 am

3. Those turned out so cute. LOVE the puppy. :)

Comment by ashley — December 8, 2009 @ 8:09 am

4. My kids would love this. I remember making these sweet ornies as a cild.

I hope that you will come by and see the ornaments I made: pearl encrusted star, crystal and button ball and an anthro inspired tree topper.

Comment by Laura Ingalls Gunn — December 8, 2009 @ 8:47 am

5. These are so cute. What a fun thing to do with the kids. Thanks for sharing.

I just came over from the Ornament party at Kate’s blog.

Ruth

Comment by Ruth — December 8, 2009 @ 12:57 pm

6. Saw you on the ornament party and had to say this brings back great memories as a child making dough wreaths with my mom! I think I should do this with my 2 year old!!! TODAY!!!

Comment by jenlaser2015 — December 8, 2009 @ 3:02 pm

7. the hook is an excellent idea. I never thought of that. :)

Comment by ellen — December 8, 2009 @ 9:41 pm